Cohort was formed in 2006 and admitted to London's Alternative Investment Market in March 2006.
Originally formed by Stanley Carter and Nick Prest, sharing a common vision to create a publicly quoted defence technical services business that would be independent, expert, practically oriented, flexible and cost-effective.
The Group’s mission remains as it was when it was founded, to build a group of companies applying advanced technology in defence, security and related markets, and combining the innovation and responsiveness of smaller, independent businesses with the stability, shared knowledge, wider market access and lower funding costs of a listed group, to provide enduring benefits to customers, employees and shareholders.
The founding members of the Group in 2006 were SCS and MASS. SEA joined the Group in 2007, MCL in 2014, EID in 2016, Chess Technologies in 2018 and most recently, in December 2020, ELAC SONAR joined the Group.
- November - Chess remaining minority acquired
- August - SEA acquires remaining half of JSK Joint Venture from Kaycom in Canada
- August – SEA Subsea engineering business sold to its management (now trading as J+S Subsea).
- December - Wärtsilä ELAC Nautik GmbH acquisition completes and joins the Group as ELAC SONAR GmbH
- December – Cohort plc acquires majority shareholding in Chess Technologies (including Chess Dynamics, Chess Dynamics Inc and Vision4ce)
- June – Cohort plc acquires majority shareholding in EID Portugal
- December - SCS restructured – its Training Support business moved to MASS and its Technical Support business moved to SEA
- June – SEA Space business sold to Thales Alenia Space
- July – Cohort plc acquires Marlborough Communications Ltd (MCL)
- October – J+S acquired and merged with SEA
- October – Cohort plc acquires SEA
- March - Cohort plc floated on AIM with SCS as its sole operating business
- August – Cohort plc acquires MASS Consultants Ltd (MASS)